The General Agricultural Workers’ Union (GAWU) is an affiliate of the Trades Union Congress-Ghana (TUC-Ghana) and the biggest trade union organizing farmers and agricultural workers both in the formal and informal sector in Ghana.
GAWU’s services to the non-wage earners who do not have established on-going relations with employers is primarily one of a mouth piece and the pursuit of public policies and programmes that are favourable for them. At the community level GAWU provides services such as:
- Organisational support, training and skills development
- Promotion of savings and credit schemes
- Promotion of group and pre-cooperative activities
- Rural extension activities
- The promotion of community afforestation